TOA supporting Children Without Borders Afghan Refugee Resettlement campaign
Starting this Sunday, September 12, the Town will be accepting donations for the Children Without Borders Afghan Refugee Resettlement Campaign at the main entrance of Ajax Community Centre at 75 Centennial Rd.
Due to the anticipated interest, collection hours have been established to manage the donation drive. Residents can drop off donations Monday to Friday from 4 to 9 p.m. and Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m. until September 26.
There is an urgent need for:
- Gift cards
- Clothing and footwear (gently used or new)
- Luggage (gently used or new)
- Children books and activities (gently used or new)
- Baby basics (diapers, formula, food, blankets, strollers)
“As Durham Region continues to welcome refugees fleeing Afghanistan, many have arrived with only the clothes on their back. This drive, led by Children Without Borders, is an opportunity for Ajax residents to once again show their compassion, kindness and empathy for helping others. On behalf of Ajax Council, I encourage all Ajacians to step up and work together to support and help with this local resettlement initiative.”
– Mayor Shaun Collier, Town of Ajax
- Children Without Borders launched this campaign to support the resettlement of hundreds of newly resettled Afghan refugees in the GTA, including Durham Region. Many arrived to Canada with barely anything to call their own.
- The Ajax charity is partnering with the Canadian-Afghan Lawyers Association to help individuals and families be comfortable and give them a warm welcome to Canada.