Council and the Royal Canadian Legion Ajax Branch 322 unveil 25 banners
Today, Ajax Council and the Royal Canadian Legion Ajax Branch 322 unveiled 25 Honour Our Veterans commemorative banners along Harwood Avenue from Bayly Street to Highway 401. Located on the Town’s ceremonial route, the banners will be displayed leading up to Remembrance Day.
A joint partnership between the Town and the Royal Canadian Legion, the banners honour allied veterans and active service personnel with a connection to Ajax. Each banner is sponsored, and features their name, era served, photograph, branch of service and sponsor.
“Ajax has a rich and storied connection to Canada’s military history, from the site of the largest munitions plant in the British Commonwealth during World War II to our unique street naming programing honoring those who served on the HMS Ajax, Exeter and Achilles. This legacy project, in partnership with the Ajax Legion, will further engage the community in honouring , remembering and reflecting on those who served our country.”
– Mayor Shaun Collier
“This is the first year of our Honour Our Veterans commemorative program, we are grateful for the support from the community for sponsoring these 25 banners. We’re already taking in applications for next year, and are looking forward to growing the program further. On behalf of the Legion’s executive, I would like to thank the Town of Ajax for their support in launching this program.”
– Mike Lescombe, Veterans Service Officer, Royal Canadian Legion Branch 322
- The Honour our Veterans program is funded through sponsorship of individual banners.
- The cost to sponsor a banner is $150.00.
- 2022 application forms are available at the Royal Canadian Legion (111 Hunt St.) or rcl322.com/ajax-honour-our-veterans-banner-program.
- For more information on sponsoring a banner for 2022, contact Mike Lescombe, Ajax Legion Service Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.