Carbon monoxide (CO) prevention reminder from Ajax Fire

0
4


Ajax Fire and Emergency Services is reminding building owners, landlords and residents to ensure fuel burning appliances are working properly to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible and odorless gas that is produced when fuels, such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in appliances such as furnaces, fireplaces, hot water heaters, gas stoves and generators.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea and drowsiness. Prolonged exposure to CO can be fatal; therefore, carbon monoxide alarms must be installed outside of all sleeping areas.

To prevent exposure to carbon monoxide, make sure fuel burning appliances, such as gas fireplaces, furnaces and water heaters are inspected annually by a professional. It is also important that venting for the exhaust is kept clear and unobstructed from snow, ice and other debris. 

Quote

“Please make sure your fuel burning appliances are working properly by having them inspected by a qualified technician annually. You may not notice that your furnace or other fuel burning appliance is not working properly and could be creating carbon monoxide. We can’t see or smell CO and it can be fatal to people and pets. Your best chance of surviving is to have early warning from a CO alarm.” – Shelley Langer, Fire Prevention Inspector, Town of Ajax

Quick Facts

  • Carbon monoxide alarm(s) are required to be installed adjacent to all sleeping areas in dwellings with a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace or attached storage garage.
  • Early symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to flu-like symptoms (i.e., nausea, headache and dizziness) without the fever.
  • According to TSSA, over 65% of CO-related injuries and deaths in Ontario occur in the home.

Learn More



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here