Oct. 1 marks the United Nations International Day of Older Adults
In celebration of the United Nations International Day of Older Adults, the Town is launching two new resources to help older adults and seniors connect to essential community services, information and supports.
Age-Friendly Ajax Web Portal
- An easy to navigate, one-stop shop for information. Learn about 55+ Town services and programs and find out about senior-serving organizations providing meal delivery, transportation, health and wellness programs, housing options and more!
Age-Friendly Community Resource Guide
- A comprehensive and accessible tool providing information and referral details on senior health care programs, government benefits, financial assistance programs and social services.
Check out the new site and guide now at ajax.ca/agefriendly.
A limited print-run of resource guides will be made available at our Ajax senior centres later in the month of October. To request a print on-demand copy, please contact Laura Rae, Community Development Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-619-2529, ext. 7231.
“These important older adult and senior resources are significant achievements stemming from the 2020 Age-Friendly Ajax Community Plan. In addition to Town of Ajax services and programs, Age-Friendly Ajax connects residents to local services, programs and agencies providing health care, transportation, housing and independent living supports, community helplines, financial support and more! As we have learned through the pandemic, supporting our seniors with these essential resources and services is critical. I would like to thank our Age-Friendly Ajax Steering Committee for their continued hard work and dedication to our community.”
– Mayor Shaun Collier
“We are excited to celebrate the United Nations International Day of Older Persons with the launch of the new Age-Friendly Ajax portal! 2021’s theme of ‘Digital Equity for All Ages’ predicates the need for access and meaningful participation in the digital world by older persons. The new portal is an easy to navigate and user friendly web page where older adults and seniors can access and navigate through a variety of topics and information in three clicks or less. I encourage you to celebrate the International Day of Older Persons with us by exploring these brand new resources today at ajax.ca/agefriendly!”
– Laura Rae, Community Development Coordinator, & Chair of the Age-Friendly Ajax Steering Committee
- An age-friendly community creates policies, programs and places that allow older adults to stay connected, stay safe, and participate in all aspects of community life. The 2020 Age-Friendly Ajax Community Plan (AFA Plan) was developed by the Age-Friendly Ajax Steering Committee (AFA Steering Committee), which consists of representatives from community organizations, older adult residents and Town of Ajax staff.
- The creation of an Age-Friendly Ajax specific web page on ajax.ca, to become an online hub for information, is a direct recommendation in the 2020 Age-Friendly Ajax Community Plan; 17.5 – Communication & Information.
- The creation of a comprehensive and accessible resource which provides information and referral details pertaining to community, social services, health and government services, is a direct recommendation in the 2020 Age-Friendly Ajax Community Plan; 16.3 – Community Support & Health Services.
- The Community Resource Guide will be available both online and in print copy at select Town of Ajax facilities.