Waste Reduction Week in Canada runs October 18 – 24
This year marks the 20th anniversary of Waste Reduction Week in Canada! 2021’s programming is structured into seven themes to help focus the discussion, promote achievements and celebrate advancements in each area! The theme for October 19 is: Textiles Tuesday.
In celebration, the Town is launching a new Textile Diversion Program web portal to help residents live a zero waste lifestyle. Visit the new portal to learn more about:
- What you can donate
- Where to find locations for donation drop-offs/how to schedule an at-home donation pick-up
- How to purchase or sell once-loved textiles
- What happens to your donations after they are donated/collected
- The 5Rs (re-think, reduce, reuse, recycle, and recover)
- And more!
Check out the new site now at ajax.ca/textiles.
“In May 2021, Ajax Council reaffirmed our commitment to continuing Ajax’s long history of environmental stewardship by implementing a Textile Diversion Program with the goal of drastically increasing our textile diversion rates across the community. Residents can review our commitments in our Ajax Council Charter on Textile Diversion. We are all responsible for keeping Ajax clean, green and beautiful. Textile diversion programs are easy to participate in and are part of a true zero waste lifestyle, I encourage all residents to visit ajax.ca/textiles to learn more about how we can all get involved and make a difference in our community.” – Mayor Shaun Collier
“The creation and launch of the new web portal was a key action item identified in the Textile Diversion Program. As a community, we have the opportunity to reduce our impact by taking action to divert textiles from the landfill, visit ajax.ca/textiles to learn how. Residents can also review Council’s five commitments as part of the Ajax Council Charter on Textile Reduction and Diversion. In celebration of Waste Reduction Week in Canada, I challenge you to share what you are doing to help reduce waste coming from your closet for inspiration! – Councillor Lisa Bower, Ward 3
“The average Canadian throws out 37 kg (81lbs) of textiles each year even though 95% of today’s post-consumer textiles can be reused or recycled. Waste Reduction Week in Canada celebrates our environmental efforts and achievements while encouraging new innovative ideas and solutions, and helps empower Canadians to adopt more environmentally conscious choices. Ajax residents can celebrate Waste Reduction Week with us and help reduce and divert textile waste by following the 5Rs: re-think, reduce, reuse, recycle, and recover.” – Cameron Richardson, Supervisor of Environmental Sustainability & Climate Change, Town of Ajax
- Waste Reduction Week in Canada is a year-round program, focused on the principles of circular economy, resource efficiency, and waste reduction.
- Textile Diversion means the shifting of materials away from disposal (landfill or incineration) by using waste management strategies.
- A circular economy implies that all materials and products in society are used and circulate among its users for as long as possible, in an environmentally safe, effective and just manner. Waste as we know it does not exist. Instead, waste is looked upon as a resource or as “nutrients” for other processes to take place in society.
- TOA’s Textile Diversion Program is undergoing a Five-Phase Implementation Plan. We are currently in phase one which includes strategic communications and opportunities to introduce the Town’s Textile Diversion Program to the community.