Job Title: Regular Full-Time Tax Administrator Posting Number: 003320
Department: Finance Services Department Branch: Finance Services
Location: City Hall
Posting Start Date: 2021/09/17 Posting End Date: 2021/09/28 by 4:30pm
Employment Group: CUPE 251 Salary Grade: 06, $31.81 – $35.34 Standard Weekly Hours of Work: 36.25 Shift Work Required: No
Reporting to the Coordinator, Taxation Services, this position is responsible for ensuring quality customer service regarding property tax collections, cash deposits, administrative duties and maintenance of the tax account data integrity. This position collaborates with tax staff on tax collection through administration of payments and records maintenance in compliance with the tax collection policy. The City of Oshawa strives to provide an environment that cultivates and supports the following core values: Authenticity, Courage, and Trust (ACT).
- Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Plan (PTP) processing including administering the PTP data processing, processing adjustments to tax accounts, and maintaining PTP filing system;
- Providing customer service and administration including assisting ratepayers through the multiple customer service portals, providing records management administration, processing purchase requisitions for tax department, coordinating and preparing tax certificate, and general office administration (e.g. incoming mail, phone calls, fax & emails);
- Tax Accounting processing including processing adjustments, maintaining tax accounts and collections data, assisting with legislated tax sale registration files, processing payments, processing end of day balancing, closing, reporting and imports, and process end of month balancing, closing, reporting and imports;
- Ensuring banking and batch controls including coordination of deposit with armored car service, acting as liaison to other business units ensuring effect tax account maintenance, transmitting and receiving electronic banking files:
- Processing ownership changes and reviewing tax account data and status of tax accounts; and
- Performing other clerical and administrative duties including filing and providing support for all taxation duties where required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill of generally accepted accounting principles normally associated with completion of a two (2) year Business Accounting Diploma, and two (2) years of relevant municipal accounting experience; or have an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Proven aptitude to accurately work with figures, demonstrated analytical and software and tax account troubleshooting capabilities along with knowledge and experience complying to legislation regarding taxation matters (e.g. Municipal Act, Assessment Act, PIL Act, Tax Collection Policy).
- Excellent customer service experience and good communication skills to deal effectively and courteously with the public and staff and be able to respond to inquiries by telephone, in person and in writing.
- Possess personal qualities of maturity, tact, discretion, and have a willing and co-operative attitude and the ability to acknowledge and assist distressed ratepayers.
- Ability to work independently, quickly and competently in a multi-tasked environment with frequent interruptions and to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet rigid deadlines and prioritize tasks according to tax cycle.
- Established skills and experience using PC equipment and related software applications (i.e. TXM, P2P, Versatile, Lagan, PeopleSoft, MS Office).
Please be advised that position location as noted is at the time of posting and is subject to change, as required due to operational needs.
Please apply online through our careers page at https://oshawa.jobs.net/en-CA/search
We would like to thank all applicants however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file. Applicants are advised that written, oral and practical testing may form part of the selection process.
City of Oshawa employees need to apply through the intranet (iConnect) in order to be considered as an internal candidate. All applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Please ensure that you check your email regularly to receive any correspondence.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). The City of Oshawa promotes the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. The City of Oshawa encourages applications from women, Indigenous Peoples and persons of all cultures, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, ages, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
The City of Oshawa provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If you require assistance with the application process please contact Human Resource Services by emailing [email protected] or by calling us at 1-905-436-5666. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation. The City of Oshawa will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities and/or needs related to the OHRC. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.