Posting Number: 003277
Job Title: Temporary Full-Time Culture Services Assistant
City: Oshawa Province: Ontario
Employment Group: CUPE 251 Wage Rate: 01, $23.15- $27.26
Standard Weekly Hours of Work: 36.25 Shift Work Required: Yes
Posting End Date: September 9, 2021 by 4:30pm
Reporting to the Supervisor, Cultural Development & Programming and/or designate, the Culture Services Assistant will support projects related to Culture Counts: Oshawa’s Arts, Culture & Heritage Plan. The position will support the planning and delivery of Culture Days, Doors Open, and Culture Summit activities at various sites, while contributing to the planning, delivery, and evaluation of arts, music, and drama classes at the Arts Resource Centre and other recreational facilities.
The City of Oshawa strives to provide an environment that cultivates and supports the following core values: Authenticity, Courage, and Trust (ACT).
Events and Programs
- Support the planning and delivery of Culture Counts activities, including Culture Days, Doors Open, and Culture Summit
- Assist with the delivery of programs and special events including set up and tear down
- Provide customer service support during events
- Support the planning, delivery, and evaluation of arts, music, and drama classes at the Arts Resource Centre and other recreational facilities
- Provide support for users and community groups
- Research and recommend marketing opportunities to promote Culture Counts and recreation programs
- Research and support the development of marketing material
- Contribute to updating communication assets, including Oshawa’s Cultural Map
- Assist with writing content for marketing and communication initiatives, including the Culture Counts newsletter
- Assist with writing social media content
Administration and Facilities
- Develop program manuals & safety guidelines with support from staff
- Research cultural organizations and initiatives and summarize findings
- Source materials, build kits, and conduct inventory of supplies
- Review and organize office files and materials
- Provide administration and front desk support
- Support the oversight of facilities with support from full-time staff
Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills normally associated with the completion of two years of post-secondary education in Arts Administration, Cultural Management, Film History, Communications, Museum Studies, Fine Art, Theatre/Drama or related field
- Knowledge of cultural policy, programs and initiatives
- Possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills – able to deal courteously with the general public, members of the community and colleagues and maintain positive relationships
- Strong organization and time-management skills, being able to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities within short timelines
- Creativity, enthusiasm and a strong commitment to operating both independently and within a team environment
- Experience with social media tools and trends
- Possess advanced written/oral English communication skills
- Must be able to work under pressure to meet deadlines and able to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Meet the eligibility requirements of the Canada Summer Jobs program:
- Be between fifteen (15) and thirty (30) years of age at the start of the employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Note: International students are not eligible participants.
Please apply online through our careers page at https://oshawa.jobs.net/en-CA/search
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). The City of Oshawa promotes the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. The City of Oshawa encourages applications from women, Indigenous Peoples and persons of all cultures, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, ages, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
The City of Oshawa provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If you require assistance with the application process please contact Human Resource Services by emailing [email protected] or by calling us at 1-905-436-5666. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation. The City of Oshawa will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities and/or needs related to the OHRC. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.