Posting Number: 003494
Job Title: Temporary Full-Time Municipal Law Enforcement Parking Officer
City: Oshawa Province: Ontario
Employment Group: CUPE 251 Wage Rate: 07, $33.93 – $37.68
Standard Weekly Hours of Work: 36.25 Shift Work Required: Yes
Posting End Date: 2022/01/19 by 4:30pm
Reporting to the Manager, Municipal Law Enforcement, or designate, be responsible for interpreting, enforcing, and administering parking and business licensing regulations and bi-laws. The City of Oshawa strives to provide an environment that cultivates and supports the following core values: Authenticity, Courage, and Trust (ACT).
- Enforcing the Traffic By-law pertaining to parking violations and enforcement of Highway Traffic Act pertaining to fraudulent use of accessible permits;
- Patrolling, observing, investigating, and responding to parking violations;
- Enforcing other municipal by-laws including Taxicabs, Licensing and skateboards and bicycles, Snow and Ice, waste., Nuisance, Signs;
- Responding to inquiries and complaints;
- Conducting spot checks on vendors and other peddlers;
- Being an ambassador for the City, providing a positive image, educating the public and providing good customer service;
- Resolving conflicts with parking or licensing violators;
- Completing documentation, testimony, general office and other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill of generally accepted practices and procedures normally associated with the completion of a two (2) year diploma/certificate from a recognized Community College in Law Enforcement or Police Studies/Foundations discipline, plus one (1) year of related enforcement experience, preferably in a municipal environment; or have the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to communicate courteously, effectively and with tact, both orally and in writing. Good organizational skills, possess a sense of thoroughness and demonstrated ability to work on own initiative.
- Established PC skills and experience using relevant software applications.
- Good health and fitness.
- Physically fit with the ability to climb, walk and ride a bicycle.
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Certification as Municipal Law Enforcement Officer (MLEO) is preferred.
- Shift work is required.
- Ability to provide a criminal reference check at time of hire.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid, unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License, minimum Class “G”, and be able to pass the Corporation’s tests for motor vehicle operation.
Please apply online to this position at: https://oshawa.jobs.net/en-CA/search
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). The City of Oshawa promotes the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. The City of Oshawa encourages applications from women, Indigenous Peoples and persons of all cultures, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, ages, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
All City of Oshawa employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment; proof of vaccination status will be requested upon hire. The City of Oshawa will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities and/or needs related to the OHRC If you require an accommodation during the recruitment process or assistance with the application process please contact us at [email protected] or 905-436-5666. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.