The City of Oshawa is calling for nominations for its annual Arts, Culture and Heritage Award program. Community members are encouraged to nominate individuals, collectives and organizations that have made a positive contribution in the community for the Community Legends Award and the Oshawa Culture Counts Awards. Nominations will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. Monday, February 14, 2022.
It is anticipated that selected recipients will be acknowledged at a Council meeting in spring 2022.
Community Legends Award
The Community Legends Award recognizes a person of any age or an organization/group who:
- made a significant contribution to an activity, sport or community initiative as a volunteer;
- contributed to improving the quality of life of the Oshawa community; and/or,
- made a significant impact on the Oshawa community at a grassroots level through arts and culture, sport or community initiatives.
Nominations for the Community Legends Award will be reviewed and selected by the Community Services Committee for recommendation to Council for final approval.
Learn more about the Community Legends Award, including how to apply and past recipients at Oshawa.ca/achawards.
Culture Counts Awards
Oshawa’s Culture Counts Awards celebrate and honour the creative and cultural achievements of the community. Individuals, groups and/ or organizations can be nominated or apply in three categories:
- Oshawa Culture Counts Professional Artist Award, which recognizes an established artist of any arts discipline who has demonstrated creativity, originality, professional maturity and artistic leadership in the community.
- Oshawa Culture Counts Emerging Artist Award, which recognizes an emerging artist who is in the early stages of their career. The award encompasses all art disciplines and recognizes an artist who inspires and enriches the lives of fellow citizens.
- The Innovation and Creation Champion Award, which honours an individual, collective and/or organization in the creative and cultural industries that has created or enhanced an event, product, program or partnership in the past year. This award recognizes work that is unique, transformative, and positive in its impact on arts, culture, and heritage in Oshawa.
Nominations for the Culture Counts Awards will be peer-reviewed and selected by a subcommittee of the Cultural Leadership Council.
Learn more about the Culture Counts Awards, including eligibility requirements and past recipients at Oshawa.ca/achawards.
“Culture counts in Oshawa and I am proud of the many caring individuals who give so much in service and leadership to our city, as well as the amount of talented artists we have in our community, across all genres,” said Oshawa Mayor Dan Carter. “These community members go above and beyond to enhancing our quality of life in Oshawa.”
“Both of these awards categories are wonderful ways to acknowledge our friends and colleagues who contribute greatly to the betterment of our community. If you know a person whom you believe is special because their efforts, please consider taking the time to put their name forward,” said Councillor Rick Kerr, Chair of the Community Services Committee.
“Recognizing our local artists and our outstanding community leaders is important to us as a City,” said Councillor Derek Giberson, Vice-Chair of the Community Services Committee. “If you know a Community Legend or artist that honours the creative and cultural achievements of our community I encourage you to put your nominations forward.”