The Regional Municipality of Durham would like to remind residents that the Region does not sell or endorse water filters or treatment equipment. The Region has been contacted by concerned residents inquiring about phone calls from salespersons who want access to their home to test the water or inspect the water service. In the past, salespersons have gone door-to-door making similar claims.
If someone calls you or shows up at your door, remember the following to protect yourself from scams:
- Did you request this call or visit? Regional staff will not visit without sending an official letter to schedule an appointment.
- Never give out your personal information.
- Call the Region at 905-668-7711 to confirm that the phone call or visit is legitimate.
- If you receive a phone call, don’t feel pressured to agree to a home visit.
- If they come to your door, don’t feel pressured to sign contracts on the spot, or to let anyone into your home.
- If they come to your door, ask for identification. All Regional employees and authorized contractors carry photo IDs.
The Regional Municipality of Durham provides safe drinking water to residents through the municipal water supply system, meeting Ontario Drinking Water Quality Standards. The quality and safety of the Region’s water are confirmed at an accredited laboratory, which is licensed by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change–a requirement of the Ontario Drinking Water Regulations.
Information on water quality testing is available from the Region by contacting the Works Department at 905-668-7711, and from our Water Quality Reports, available online at durham.ca/water.