The Regional Municipality of Durham, Oshawa Power and Elexicon Energy have partnered on a region-wide zero emission vehicle (ZEV) education and awareness initiative called E-Mission, with partial funding from Natural Resources Canada.
Launching today, E-Mission includes a wide variety of free and fun opportunities for residents of Durham to learn more about electric vehicles while staying safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Residents are urged to capitalize on this limited-time offer by visiting the E-Mission website and taking four actions:
1. Book a test drive at a participating Durham dealership listed on the E-Mission site – there are numerous makes and models available from sports cars to mini vans, 4x4s and sedans (test drive availability starts immediately);
2. Book a free, private test drive session at the Mobile EV Education Trailer, which will make six week-long stops at locations across Durham starting today;
4. Visit the E-Mission Community Showroom and explore stories and experiences from local early EV adopters in Durham Region.
Did you know?
• Transportation is the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions in Durham Region, and driving an electric vehicle is one of the most important actions a household can take to reduce their carbon footprint.
• Oshawa Power and Elexicon Energy will use information gathered during E-Mission to keep Durham’s electricity grids safe and reliable while electric vehicles grow in popularity.
• Driving an electric vehicle is fun and affordable. There are over 100 public electric vehicle charging stations in Durham and Ontarians can secure up to $5,000 in federal incentives for new electric vehicles, or $1,000 in Plug ‘N Drive incentives for used electric vehicles. EVs also cost less to maintain over their lifespan.
• To build a cleaner, more prosperous economy that fights climate change and creates valuable jobs, the Government of Canada has mandated that 100 per cent of new car and passenger truck sales be zero-emission by 2035.
• Health and safety are a priority for the E-Mission initiative All test drive opportunities offered through E-Mission will be run in alignment with COVID-19 health guidelines so that residents of Durham can take action on climate change, while staying safe.
“We know ingenuity and industry can help tackle global challenges and electric vehicles are a key climate solution in Durham Region, given that transportation is the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions. Through E-Mission we are partnering with our local electricity utilities and auto dealerships in a joint venture to increase awareness of the benefits of electric vehicles for our environment and economy.”
– John Henry, Regional Chair and Chief Executive Officer, Region of Durham
“The team would like to thank Natural Resources Canada for its investment in this initiative. E-Mission builds on Oshawa’s history of automotive innovation and will help Durham’s communities advance in terms of sustainability and green economic opportunities. Oshawa Power is proud to have started E-Mission in 2018, and be continuing this important work in partnership with the Region of Durham and Elexicon Energy.”
– Ivano Labricciosa, President and CEO of Oshawa Power
“Electric vehicles (EVs) have advanced significantly this decade. Empowering our customers to adopt this cleaner technology requires robust electric charging infrastructure that is accessible, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive. Elexicon’s stewardship to provide a cleaner, sustainable future to our residents and innovation leadership sees management of additional power demand from EVs; both a challenge and an opportunity. Elexicon has made important strategic investments in research and development in this area, including gathering insights from our own EV charging station in Ajax.”
– Falguni Shah, VP, Technology & Innovation of Elexicon Energy
“We are giving Canadians the greener options they want to get to where they need to go. This is how we get to net zero by 2050.”
– Seamus O’Regan Jr., Canada’s Minister of Natural Resources