Pickering, ON, July 15, 2021 – The City of Pickering is updating its Property Standards By-law and invites resident to review and provide feedback on the proposed changes.
The By-law, last revised in 2002, sets community-wide standards related to the interior and exterior of buildings and property. This helps to maintain health and safety requirements for occupancy, regulate appearance and structural stability, sustain property values, and provide a process for addressing properties that are not being maintained.
Proposed changes include:
- additional requirements to maintain and secure vacant properties
- new provisions protecting designated heritage properties
- regulations for storage of debris in open carports and structures
- requirements to maintain security in multi-tenanted properties
- additional provisions for exterior lighting, swimming pools, elevators
- introduction of fees for follow-up inspections where there is a failure to comply
Visit LetsTalkPickering.ca/PropertyStandards to register as a user, view the draft By-law, and provide feedback.
“Pickering is a place that so many of us are proud to call home. It’s important that we not only educate the community on what the standards and expectations are around property maintenance, but learn from the people who live here on how we can modernize the City’s minimum standards and address major current maintenance and occupancy concerns.”
– Mayor Dave Ryan, City of Pickering
As the gateway to the east GTA, Pickering (population 94,000) is strategically located where Toronto, York and Durham Regions meet. An award-winning municipality, Pickering is slated for significant economic and residential growth; offering an unparalleled quality of life for those who live, work, and play here. Its dynamic City Centre has been designated by the Province of Ontario as both an Urban Growth Centre and Mobility Hub, and continues to evolve as a preferred destination for creative learning, memorable events, and unique experiences at the heart of a vibrant, connected, and engaged community.
Coordinator, Communications | Office of the CAO
905.420.4660 ext. 2134 | 1.866.683.2760