Pickering, ON, September 17, 2021 Proof of vaccination will be required for all patrons attending Recreation Centres Community Centres and Arena and indoor programming at the Pickering Museum Village.
- Exemptions include:
- Individuals under 18 years old who are entering the facility to participate in organized sport (sports leagues, organized pick-up sports, dance classes, martial arts, swimming classes).
- Children under 12 years old.
- Individuals who are entering the building to access critical services (including spa and physiotherapy at CHDRC).
- Individuals accessing the indoor facilities to use a washroom; to make a retail purchase; while placing, paying or picking up an order; to purchase admission; or as may be necessary for the purposes of health and safety.
- Individuals attending a wedding, funeral or religious rite or ceremony (note this excludes the social component associated with these services).
- Individuals with a medical exemption. A note from a doctor or registered nurse will be required should a medical exemption be requested. The note must include: a documented medical reason for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and the effective time-period for the medical reason.
The “enhanced COVID-19 vaccine certificate” system, as referenced by the Ontario government, will come into effect on Wednesday, September 22, 2021. At first, fully vaccinated Ontarians will need their current receipt with a valid photo identification to enter City of Pickering community centres to participate in some programs. The receipts can be printed or downloaded as a PDF file to smartphones.
For the purpose of this section, a person is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if:
a) they have received,
(i) the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by Health Canada, or any combination of such vaccines;
(i) one or two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine not authorized by Health Canada, followed by one dose of a COVID-19 mRNA vaccine authorized by Health Canada, or,
(ii) three doses of a COVID-19 vaccine not authorized by Health Canada; and,
b) they received their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before providing the proof of being fully vaccinated.
Neither a recent COVID-19 infection nor a recent negative test will substitute for two shots.
Enforcement measures for the certificate system will fall under the Reopening Ontario Act. Businesses, facilities and individuals who refuse to comply can face fines.
For more information & FAQ’s visit pickering.ca/covid19
As the gateway to the east GTA, Pickering (population 94,000) is strategically located where Toronto, York and Durham Regions meet. An award-winning municipality, Pickering is slated for significant economic and residential growth; offering an unparalleled quality of life for those who live, work, and play here. Its dynamic City Centre has been designated by the Province of Ontario as both an Urban Growth Centre and Mobility Hub, and continues to evolve as a preferred destination for creative learning, memorable events, and unique experiences at the heart of a vibrant, connected, and engaged community.
Manager, Community Services Administration l Community Services
905.420.4660 ext. 3249