Reporting to the Head Coach, Women’s Basketball, the assistant coach aids the head coach in the coordination of planning and implementation of the Women’s Basketball team for the Varsity Athletics Program at York University. The coach will work in consonance with Department and University goals and objectives and is expected to foster a high-performance environment that contributes to student and team success. This includes aiding the head coach in coordinating the coaching staff and various competitions; recruiting and retaining student-athletes; instructing/coaching Varsity athletes; and developing financial support for the team through alumni and parent relations and other fundraising activities.
This position requires commitment and adherence to the values and principles of Athletics & Recreation as expressed in the mandate of the department.
Title: Assistant Coach, Women’s Basketball
Title of Immediate Supervisor(s): Head Coach, Women’s Basketball
How to Apply:
Please send your Cover Letter and Resume to Christa Eniojukan (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Head Coach, Women’s Basketball by August 13th, 2021 @ 4pm.
Be responsible for assisting the Head Coach in all duties related to the administration, training and competing of York Lions Women’s Basketball.
- Administrative Basketball Team Functions
The Assistant Coach reports directly to the Head Coach and is considered a part of the staff. The Assistant Coach works in close liaison with the Head Coach and other York University Athletics staff and volunteers in the planning, implementation, and
management of administrative duties and on court coaching duties for the team.
- On-Site Functions
The Assistant Coach reports directly to the Head Coach and is responsible for ensuring effective and efficient communication and operations between the Head Coach and the athletes in servicing the team in all aspects of training, pre-competition preparation and competitive situations.
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills as well as creative thinking skills
- Be administratively sound and detail oriented
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize appropriately in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to work independently, maintain tight schedules and work flexible hours.
- Present a professional and mature attitude in dealing with the athletes, coaching staff, University administration, alumni, sponsors and the public.
- Have the NCCP Training to Train or previous Level 2 NCCP coaching certificate.
- To assist in coaching and report on athletes assigned to them. Reporting shall be done on a working Individual Performance Plan document.
- To attend and coach at all training and game sessions as arranged with the Head Coach.
- It is expected that the Assistant Coach will always be punctual and well prepared. A professional approach in their coaching is expected.
- The Assistant Coach is required to participate in other events (such as promotions and fundraisers) as and when required by Lions Women’s Basketball.
- If the coach intends to be missing from any training session or games during the term of service, they should notify the Head Coach as soon as possible.
- Assist the Head Coach in any other capacity to ensure proper conditions for traveling, training, and competing of the team. This includes but is not limited to: video breakdown, recording of statistics, etc.
Specific Responsibilities with Women’s Basketball
- Planning, execution, and delivery of community programs: High Performance Camps and other initiatives such as Skills Clinics, Summer Camps, etc.
- Assisting the Head Coach with player skill development.
- Assisting the Head Coach with practice preparation and execution.
- Assisting the Head Coach with game competition. Travel to all games and tournaments.
- Assisting the Head Coach with breaking down and editing game film, scouting for upcoming competitions.
- Assisting the Head Coach with student-athlete recruitment.